TAMPA, FL (WFLA) — There is a lot happening in Tampa Bay overnight. 8 On Your Side is taking a look at what goes in our “While You Were Sleeping” series. At 4 Rivers Smokehouse in Tampa, the staff gets in five hours before the restaurant opens.
West says the brisket is smoked for 18 hours, so the first thing they do is take it out and divvy it up for the day.
“We wrap it up and we put it in the coolers for the whole day,” said Samuel Cockrell.
Then, they put the ribs into the smoker.
“We typically try to get them in right about 6 or 6:30 so they’re coming out fresh right around 11,” said West.
It takes hours for the crew to make many of the sides fresh every day. 4 Rivers Smokehouse also features a bakery.
She knows it’s hard for people to understand why she gets into work so early.
“It’s worth it to me. I really love the company and the atmosphere here. Especially at this store. Everybody really truly is like a family,” she said.
As the morning rolls on, food starts coming out of the oven, and the display case gets filled up with tasty treats.
“It’s great to see people fawning over the desserts. They take that first bite and you just see them light up. It’s a really great feeling,” she said.
Just before 4 Rivers Smokehouse opens at 11 a.m., the meat is done and ready for carving.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- ‘Habitual traffic offender’ in Pasco jail after running over motorcyclists
- Neighbor trying to save 90-year-old widow’s Sarasota home
- 3 girls killed, toddler thrown from vehicle in Brevard County crash
- Pinellas primate expert says Cincinnati gorilla was trying to protect child before being killed
- Burlesque dancer told she couldn’t board flight because ‘shorts too short’
- Fla. company creates synthetic dog to eliminate use of shelter animals in vet training
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines