MIAMI BEACH, Fla. (AP) – A man accused of killing his roommate at a Miami Beach hospital is behind bars.
News agencies report 23-year-old Andre Brown was arrested Sunday and charged with second-degree murder in the death of 55-year-old Alejandro Ortega.
Police say Ortega was found lying on the bathroom floor of a room he shared with Brown at Mount Sinai Medical Center on Saturday. He was bleeding from his head.
In an arrest report, police say Brown told authorities he struck Ortega numerous times in self-defense after Ortega tried to touch his private area. The report says Brown then choked Ortega.
Hospital spokeswoman Joanna Palmer said in a statement that the incident took place within the hospital’s psychiatric health unit.
It’s unclear whether Brown has an attorney.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- ‘Habitual traffic offender’ in Pasco jail after running over motorcyclists
- Neighbor trying to save 90-year-old widow’s Sarasota home
- 3 girls killed, toddler thrown from vehicle in Brevard County crash
- Pinellas primate expert says Cincinnati gorilla was trying to protect child before being killed
- Burlesque dancer told she couldn’t board flight because ‘shorts too short’
- Fla. company creates synthetic dog to eliminate use of shelter animals in vet training
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines