FORT PIERCE, Fla. (WFLA) – A Fort Pierce man wound up in the hospital after his DIY bee removal project went horribly wrong.
Michael Ledlow wanted to save some money. So, instead of hiring a professional bee removal service, he decided to remove a bee hive himself.
“So I thought, well I’m protected I had the suit on, I’ll just go ahead and do it. The bees will just fly around me. They won’t bother me. That was a mistake,” he said.
Ledlow said everything was going smoothly until he tried to suck the bees into a vacuum. The bees plugged the vacuum’s filter.
“I had trapped so may in my ShopVac , that it must have smothered the filter and it burned the motor up.”
The bees started stinging Ledlow through his gloves. More than 150 bee stings caused his hands to swell. Ledlow’s chest tightened and it became hard for him to breathe.
He was taken to a local hospital and was later released.
Ledlow says he won’t be doing any more DIY bee removal projects.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- South Florida officers find 2 alligators eating human body
- ‘Habitual traffic offender’ in Pasco jail after running over motorcyclists
- Neighbor trying to save 90-year-old widow’s Sarasota home
- 3 girls killed, toddler thrown from vehicle in Brevard County crash
- Pinellas primate expert says Cincinnati gorilla was trying to protect child before being killed
- Burlesque dancer told she couldn’t board flight because ‘shorts too short’
- Fla. company creates synthetic dog to eliminate use of shelter animals in vet training
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines