PUNTA GORDA, Fla. (WFLA) –Deputies say an argument about an ice chest turned violent over the Memorial Day weekend, landing a Palm Harbor man in jail.
It happened Saturday at the Redneck Mud Park in Punta Gorda, which is formally known as the Redneck Yacht Club.
Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office investigators say Brandon James Edwards, 24, got into an argument about an ice chest with Randal Jones. The ice chest broke when it fell off a vehicle in the campground. Edwards became angry and left Jones’ campsite with a friend, Robert Dodge.
Dodge told police that Edwards made a statement about getting on his ATV and running over Jones’ campsite. Dodge tried to talk him out of it, but Edwards got on his ATV and left.
Trey Hill and his girlfriend Sabrina Tischner were inside a tent at Jones’ campsite. Hill told deputies he heard an ATV coming closer to the tent. The ATV did not stop and ran over Hill and Tischner in the tent.
The couple managed to free themselves from the collapsed tent. They say Edwards was outside of the tent on his ATV. The couple said that Edwards told them, “Oh, I did not know you were in there.”
Deputies say Hill and Tischner had marks that resembled tire tracks on their bodies.
Edwards was arrested and charged with aggravated battery with a deadly weapon.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- South Florida officers find 2 alligators eating human body
- ‘Habitual traffic offender’ in Pasco jail after running over motorcyclists
- Neighbor trying to save 90-year-old widow’s Sarasota home
- 3 girls killed, toddler thrown from vehicle in Brevard County crash
- Pinellas primate expert says Cincinnati gorilla was trying to protect child before being killed
- Burlesque dancer told she couldn’t board flight because ‘shorts too short’
- Fla. company creates synthetic dog to eliminate use of shelter animals in vet training
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines