VENICE, Fla. (WFLA) – Sarasota County Sheriff’s deputies have dropped charges against a suspect in Friday night’s shooting of a 58-year-old Venice man.
After further investigation, detectives released Shelby Gibson of North Port.
According to SCSO’s initial report, James J. Reilly was found suffering from a gunshot wound just after 9 pm in the 700 block of Colonial Dr. He told responding deputies what happened and how he was injured. Reilly was transported to a local hospital where he is listed in critical condition.
Reilly claimed that Gibson, 38, and two men came to his residence to rob him. Investigators determined Gibson was present when Reilly was shot.
Sarasota detectives obtained a search warrant for Reilly’s residence and cell phone, finding evidence related to other involved suspects.
Detectives are still investigating.
If you have any information about this incident, contact SCSO’s Criminal Investigations Unit at 941-861-4900 or call Sarasota County Crime Stoppers at 941-366-TIPS (8477)
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Shark bites teenager at Neptune Beach
- Tampa Police: Bern’s Steakhouse valet robbed
- Katharine the great white shark returns to Central Florida waters
- Ohio zoo closes gorilla exhibit for now after boy falls in
- Grilling safety for your holiday weekend
- Man pays speeding ticket with 22,000 pennies
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines