ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) – Evan Longoria homered and drove in four runs, and the Tampa Bay Rays beat the New York Yankees 9-5 Saturday to send Michael Pineda to his sixth loss in his last seven decisions.
Longoria had a sacrifice fly during a three-run first, boosted the lead to 5-0 with a two-run homer in the second and chased Pineda with an RBI single in the fourth that made it 6-1.
Pineda (2-6) allowed six runs and nine hits in 3 2/3 innings. His 6.92 ERA is the highest among 104 qualifying pitchers in the major leagues.
Matt Moore (2-3), winless in his six previous starts, gave up three runs and eight hits in 6 2/3 innings as the Rays won for the second time in eight games. New York lost for the third time in 10 games.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Katharine the great white shark returns to Central Florida waters
- What’s coming to Netflix in June
- Grilling safety for your holiday weekend
- Teacher resigns after complaints about profanity in class
- Cops: Caregiver hit 91-year-old WWII veteran on head with oxygen tank
- Tropical Storm Bonnie ruins long weekend on Carolina beaches
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines