INDIANAPOLIS (AP) – An American took the Andretti family to victory lane in the 100th running of the Indianapolis 500.
It just wasn’t the driver anyone expected.
Alexander Rossi was the surprising winner of “The Greatest Spectacle in Racing” when he stretched his fuel to the finish Sunday to pull off an upset victory. He ran out of gas after taking the checkered flag.
Rossi is an IndyCar rookie from California racing back in the United States after failing to put together a steady ride in Formula One. He is the ninth rookie to win the 500 and the first since Helio Castroneves in 2001.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Shark bites teenager at Neptune Beach
- Tampa Police: Bern’s Steakhouse valet robbed
- Katharine the great white shark returns to Central Florida waters
- Ohio zoo closes gorilla exhibit for now after boy falls in
- Grilling safety for your holiday weekend
- Man pays speeding ticket with 22,000 pennies
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines