PORTSMOUTH, Va (WAVY) — A Portsmouth middle school teacher resigned Friday after students and parents complained about an inappropriate message posted in her classroom.
Parents and students say the message was posted in a classroom at Cradock Middle School in Portsmouth earlier this week. It was later shared on social media.
10 On Your Side blurred the profane language used, but you can see why some parents are upset.
“It’s a little ridiculous that a teacher would write that on a classroom board,” Robin Zollars told WAVY.com.
Zollars’ daughter is in eighth grade at the school. She saw the message on social media, but said she didn’t hear anything about it from the school this week.
10 On Your Side asked the School District and got this response:
We recently became aware of this photo and we’re horrified by it. The teacher is on administrative leave pending investigation. We do not condone this type of behavior and expect our teachers and administrators to always be professionals and role models for our students.”
After our inquiry the principal decided to send a letter home to parents of students in the class. Later Friday afternoon, the school district told us that the teacher apologized and resigned.
We are told this was her first teaching job. She had been at the school for two and a half years.
WAVY reached out to the teacher involved. She did not respond.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- 1 dead, 2 hurt in St. Pete boating accident
- Meet #PrisonBae: Woman’s ‘hot mugshot’ goes viral
- Grilling safety for your holiday weekend
- Second tropical cyclone of 2016 forms, TS warnings issued for SC coast
- Cops: Caregiver hit 91-year-old WWII veteran on head with oxygen tank
- 8 fun things to do this weekend in Tampa Bay | May 28-29
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines