SARASOTA, Fla. (WFLA) – A 42-year-old Sarasota man is being held without bond following his arrest Friday on murder and aggravated assault charges.
Bernis Boykins is charged with stabbing his ex-girlfriend and her mother at a residence in the 2300 block of 20th St. The incident occurred just after 1:30 pm according to a release issued by the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office.
Deputies were dispatched to the scene in response to a disturbance call. When they arrived, 54-year-old Tonya Simpson was deceased on the kitchen floor and her 19-year-old daughter Teyanna Leverette seriously injured.
Leverette was transported to Sarasota Memorial Hospital where she is listed in critical condition.
Boykins arrest report indicates deputies found him walking away from the home where Simpson and Leverette were found.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- 1 dead, 2 hurt in St. Pete boating accident
- Meet #PrisonBae: Woman’s ‘hot mugshot’ goes viral
- Grilling safety for your holiday weekend
- Second tropical cyclone of 2016 forms, TS warnings issued for SC coast
- Cops: Caregiver hit 91-year-old WWII veteran on head with oxygen tank
- 8 fun things to do this weekend in Tampa Bay | May 28-29
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines