HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Florida Highway Patrol Troopers are investigating a traffic accident that killed one motorcyclist and caused another to be hospitalized.
Florida Avenue was closed in both directions Saturday afternoon after two motorcyclists collided with a van. One of the motorcyclists was killed, the other was rushed to an area hospital with serious injuries.
Authorities have revealed that Cody L. Newsom, 19, of Kissimmee was killed in the crash and died at the scene. The driver of the other motorcycle was identified by authorities as Connor A. Waldron, 20, of Kissimmee. Waldron was taken to St. Joseph’s Hospital in Tampa and is in serious condition.
The driver of the van was Manuel T. Perez, 69, of Tampa. Perez suffered minor injuries.
Investigators say Perez was driving eastbound on Palm Ave when he attempted to make a left turn onto Florida Ave. Troopers say Newsom and Waldron were traveling southbound on Florida Ave at a high rate of speed.
Officials say Perez did not see Newsom and Waldron and turned in front of them. Newsom’s motorcycle hit the front of Perez’s van and Waldron motorcycle hit the back of the van.
The crash happened in front of a motorcycle shop where an event was happening at the time.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- 1 dead, 2 hurt in St. Pete boating accident
- Meet #PrisonBae: Woman’s ‘hot mugshot’ goes viral
- Grilling safety for your holiday weekend
- Second tropical cyclone of 2016 forms, TS warnings issued for SC coast
- Cops: Caregiver hit 91-year-old WWII veteran on head with oxygen tank
- 8 fun things to do this weekend in Tampa Bay | May 28-29
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines