SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Security camera video captured a dark-colored tow truck backing up to a house and stealing a car. This occurred at a house off Proctor Road in Sarasota County while the owner slept.
Damian Rios’ wife discovered the car missing early on Mother’s Day. “She opened the door to leave and she came back inside the house and said, ‘you’re car is not in the driveway,’” Rios recalled.
Rios immediately checked his security cameras. “The towing truck went all the way that way and then came back. And then came in reverse in here and go that way,” he explained as News Channel 8 watched the video.
The stolen car is not expensive. It’s a blue, 2006 Infiniti, worth about $10,000.
Rios is not behind on his payments, so this is not repossession. The Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office has even confirmed this was not a repossession.
Here’s the scary part. Rios’ car had a dealer-installed tracking device, but the thieves disabled it or took it out. They did it soon after swiping it from the driveway.
After the incident Rios decided to make it harder to take his wife’s car. He started parking that vehicle sideways in the driveway. The goal is to make it harder for a tow truck to swoop in and take it.
“I feel kind of mad because ya know, I don’t know what people thinking when ya know, you work so hard and trying to get your stuff and and like your car and everything. And somebody coming in and taking right in front of your house,” Rios said.
Rios said he’s lived in the same house for 16 years. He moved to that location from another neighborhood to get away from crime.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Casey Anthony attorney Jose Baez fires back at former private investigator
- Sheriff: Ex-husband killed missing Florida mom, search for body underway
- VIDEO: Polk County driver almost plows into student getting on school bus
- Hillsborough fifth-grader investigated for alleged attempt to poison classmate
- VIDEO: 6-month-old Orlando baby goes waterskiing; parents say it’s a record
- Ford recalls 271K pickups to fix brake fluid leak
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines