CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) — Neighbors in one Clearwater community are upset about an abandoned property that’s been sitting vacant on 141st Terrace N. for about four years.
The property is run down and residents who live next to it call it a breeding ground for trouble. Neighbors said it’s time the county does something about it.
“It used to be a nice home and it’s kind of heartbreaking that it’s become like this,” said Paula Boatwright.
She’s lived in Leisure World Mobile Home park for twenty years. She’s watched the home deteriorate after it was abandoned about four years ago.
“It’s a bit disturbing. We’ve seen everything from rats, to possums, to raccoons, to some vagrants,” she said.
The home’s siding has been stripped off, possibly sold for scrap. Couches and mattresses have been dumped there. There are also needles all around the property.
“I’ve contacted code enforcement quite a few times and my neighbor on both sides have contacted them and they always say that they will do something about it,” said Boatwright.
Pinellas Co. Code Enforcement tells Eight on Your Side, they’ve made numerous attempts to reach the owner, but have been unsuccessful.
The property has almost $60,000 in outstanding fines.
The county property appraisers website says the owner is CMON LLC., a company in San Diego, California.
A man answered the phone, but would not grant 8 on Your Side an interview. He did tell News Channel 8’s Jamel Lanee’ that the property is in sale pending status and it is expected to close in another month or two.
Boatwright said neighbors shouldn’t have to wait any longer.
The county issued a notice to the owner to secure and demolish the property, if they don’t correct the code violations.
County officials said they’d prefer to work with the owner, before taking legal action.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Hazmat crews respond to Sarasota Planned Parenthood, 7 treated
- Police: Children living in home filled with feces, no food or water
- Police: body found under car may belong to hit-and-run driver
- Florida fishermen catch 347-pound monster grouper
- FL teen calls escort, gets robbed
- Venice couple overjoyed by man’s random act of kindness
- Float party in St. Pete Beach proceeds, despite protest
- Woman redeems 22-year-old Disney Park Hopper pass she never got to use at age 4
- ‘Fixer Upper’ fans are going crazy over Joanna’s announcement
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines