HILLSBOROUGH COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) — The Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office briefly shut down Highway 41 on Monday afternoon after a fire was reported at the phosphate company Mosaic.
Highway 41 has reopened. Firefighters are still on scene at Mosaic. A Mosaic spokesperson said that a fire was detected within a sulfur storage tank at the Riverview facility. The tank’s fire suppression system activated and Hillsborough Fire Rescue was called to assist.
As a precaution, employees at the facility are sheltering in place while crews work to extinguish the fire. In accordance with the facility’s emergency response plan, Mosaic immediately began monitoring for sulfur dioxide (or SO2) emissions at the property line. At this time, results are well within government standards.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Hazmat crews respond to Sarasota Planned Parenthood, 7 treated
- Police: Children living in home filled with feces, no food or water
- Police: body found under car may belong to hit-and-run driver
- Florida fishermen catch 347-pound monster grouper
- FL teen calls escort, gets robbed
- Venice couple overjoyed by man’s random act of kindness
- Float party in St. Pete Beach proceeds, despite protest
- Woman redeems 22-year-old Disney Park Hopper pass she never got to use at age 4
- ‘Fixer Upper’ fans are going crazy over Joanna’s announcement
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines