DAYTONA BEACH, Fla. – Daytona Beach police are investigating a bizarre series of events that ended with a body found under a car in a parking lot behind a Daytona Beach Toys R Us.
Police say they were called to a hit-and-run crash Saturday night but could not find the vehicle involved in the incident.
Just before 11:30 a.m. Sunday, investigators were called to the parking lot at a Toys R Us store on West International Speedway Boulevard, about three miles from the crash site, after workers noticed a car with a body under it.
Daytona Beach Police Chief Michael Chitwood said the vehicle was the car involved in the hit-and-run and was heavily damaged from the crash. He said the driver may have tried to check for damage underneath his vehicle, or eliminate evidence of the crash, before it rolled on top of him.
Officials said while they have not yet determined the identity of the body under the car, saying only that he was a white male.
SEE OTHER TOP CLICKED STORIES:
- Man charged with butt injections that killed Florida woman
- Video of West Point graduation going viral for wrong reasons
- WATCH: Baby alligator removed from YMCA pool
- Man mauled after entering Chile zoo’s lion pen, 2 cats slain
- Diploma mistake means California students graduate from ‘shcool’
- One dead in Florida hang gliding accident
- Woman redeems 22-year-old Disney Park Hopper pass she never got to use at age 4
The Associated Press contributed to this report.