BALTIMORE (AP) – In a tragic start to Preakness day, two horses have died at Pimlico Race Course and a jockey broke a collarbone after a spill on a damp, rainy day.
Pramedya broke down around the turn in the fourth race Saturday, tumbled to the ground as jockey Daniel Centeno was thrown to the turf. Pimlico racing officials said the 4-year-old filly was euthanized on the track after breaking her left front cannon bone.
Centeno was driven off in ambulance. Officials said he broke his right collarbone.
In the opening race of the day, Homeboykris collapsed and died after winning and having his picture taken in the winner’s circle. Track officials believe the 9-year-old gelding suffered cardiovascular collapse.
Later Saturday, Kentucky Derby winner Nyquist takes on 10 rivals in the Preakness Stakes.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Dog hailed hero for protecting girl from snake bite goes home
- ‘Fixer Upper’ fans are going crazy over Joanna’s announcement
- Good Samaritans rescue woman being attacked by electrician with knife, say police
- Local charity raising money to build shelter for homeless, women, pregnant teens
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines