State inspectors temporarily closed five Tampa Bay eateries from May 9 to 13, 2016. We’ve listed the restaurants that were closed below, along with details about what inspectors say they found.
Chen’s Garden, 2665 N. Forest Ridge Blvd., Hernando
- A staffer was smoking while preparing food.
- 5 live roaches found in door handle of the walk-in cooler.
- 10 live roaches found in door handle of the walk-in freezer.
- 1 live roach found on the floor by a reach-in cooler.
- 12 live roaches found on the wheels of the reach-in cooler on the cook’s line.
- 5 dead roaches found in the door handle of the walk-in freezer.
- 1 dead roach found by a mop sink.
- A cook washed his/her hands but did not use soap.
Tace Lounge, 14380 N. Dale Mabry Hwy, Tampa
- Non-service animals in food establishment or on premises.
- 3 live roaches found under/on dishwashing machine.
- 3 live roaches found in the door frame and gasket of the walk-in cooler.
- 2 live roaches found on the floor of the walk-in cooler.
- 1 live roach found on the wall of the walk-in cooler.
- 2 live roaches found in the dry storage area.
- 1 live roach found under a hand sink.
- 2 dead roaches found by some CO2 tanks in the kitchen.
- 3 dead roaches found by a mop sink.
- 4 dead roaches found under the dishwashing machine.
- Vegetable chopper/dicer/shredder/peeler soiled with old food debris.
Top Thai Restaurant, 20685 Bruce B. Downs Blvd., Tampa
- 5 dead roaches found in glue trap behind mini-refrigerator.
- 30 dead roaches found in glue trap behind a reach-in cooler on the cook’s line.
- 25 live roaches found in an oven on the cook’s line.
- 1 live roach found on top of the dishwashing machine.
- Cooks were preparing food but were not wearing hair restraints.
- A cook failed to wash his/her hands before changing their gloves and/or putting on gloves to work with food.
Suncoast Cafe located at 1921 W. Bay Dr. in Largo
- 1 dead roach found in a cabinet.
- Stop Sale Order issued for moldy lemons in a cooler.
- 15 small flies in dry storage area.
- 2 small flies in dish area.
- 2 small flies in bathroom.
- 2 small flies in extra dining room.
- Stop Sale Order issued for 3 small pitchers of milk re-served to customers.
- The following potentially hazardous cold foods were held at temperatures greater than 41 degrees: pudding 46°F , milk 45°F , coleslaw 45°F.
Osaka Sushi & Thai Restaurant located st 13800 Park Blvd. in Seminole
- Live roaches found: 5 by motor of reach-in cooler, 3 inside reach-in cooler, 2 on wall behind reach-in cooler, 3 inside reach-in cooler, 2 on wall behind reach-in cooler, 6 by sink, 12 on shelving by prep sink on cook’s line, 4 in sushi bar, 8 on equipment rack over sink and prep table.
- Dead roaches on premises: 15 on floor by reach in cooler, 4 on wall by sink, 1 in sushi bar.
- Roach excrement and/or droppings found on reach-in cooler motor and on a wooden spatula by an equipment storage rack.
- Stop Sale Order issued for dented, rusted cans of water chestnuts.
- The following potentially hazardous cold foods were held at temperatures greater than 41 degrees Fahrenheit: raw shrimp 48°f, cooked eel 49°f, cooked fish 53°f, tofu 55°f, half and half 45°f, bean sprouts 55°f.
- Fish offered raw or under cooked has not undergone proper parasite destruction. Fish must be fully cooked or discarded.
The following Tampa Bay restaurants received the most violations during inspections conducted from May 9 to 13, 2016.
- Live, small flying insects in kitchen, food preparation area, or food storage area: 7 flies.
- The following potentially hazardous hot foods were held at temperatures less than 135 degrees Fahrenheit or above: red onions, peppers, white onions, fried pickles, cooked shrimp, fried onions.
- Raw animal food stored next to unwashed produce: raw pork.
- Soil residue in food storage containers: flour.
- Wet wiping cloth not stored in sanitizing solution between uses.
- Employee with no hair restraint while engaging in food preparation.
- Employee began working with food, handling clean equipment or utensils, or touching unwrapped single-service items without first washing hands.
- Working containers of food removed from original container not identified by common name: no labels at all.
- Soil residue in food storage containers.
- Raw animal food stored over ready-to-eat food: chicken stored over washed chopped cabbage.
- Bean sprouts held at a temperature greater than 41 degrees.
- Rice noodles, carrots stored on floor.
- (restaurant temporarily closed, see above)
- Menu does not identify which items contain raw or under cooked animal foods covered by the consumer advisory: Ceviche de Pescado.
- Wet wiping cloths used for occasional spills not clean.
- Nonfood-grade bags used in direct contact with food.
- (restaurant temporarily closed, see above)
- Self-service salad bar/buffet lacking adequate sneeze guards or other proper protection from contamination: bagels, English muffins, scones, muffins.
- Stop Sale Order issued for potentially hazardous food due to temperature abuse.
- No monitoring of buffet/salad bar by employee trained in safe operating procedures.