ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (WFLA) — St. Petersburg police are asking witnesses to come forward after a school was spray-painted with racist and sexist words.
At 7:46 on Friday morning, St. Petersburg police officers responded to the School of the
Immaculata, a private school located at 4265 13th Avenue North.
A police spokesperson said that someone spray-painted political, racist, and sexist words and images on three of the school’s buildings.
Mom, Lattia Morehead, was dropping her son Trevor off when a teacher stopped her.
“The teachers just came up to me, the assistant principal and she explained to me it was vandalism and graffiti and she didn’t want my son to see it,” said Morehead. “Those words that they put up, those are bad words for kids to be writing.”
Administrators decided to close the school for the day, so they could clean up, while police searched for the suspect or suspects.
Some of the images included male body parts. A sexist comment was written directly in front of this parking space that read “Reserved for C____”
A racial slur was spray painted on the parking block of that same parking space. Morehead believes the message may have been meant for a staff member.
“I thought it was one of the kids they recently kicked out, because they’ve been trying to get rid of some bad kids that was at that school. So I got the impression that it was the upset kid because of the words and things.”
Right now, investigators are checking all leads. Police said no damage was done inside the school.
The St. Petersburg Police Department is asking anyone with information regarding this matter to please call the SPPD non-emergency phone number at (727) 893-7780.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Winning Florida Lotto ticket worth $10 million purchased in Tampa Bay
- Sanford woman charged with illegally giving silicone injections
- Weeki Wachee High senior pranks go too far
- Dog hailed hero for protecting girl from snake bite goes home
- ‘Fixer Upper’ fans are going crazy over Joanna’s announcement
- Good Samaritans rescue woman being attacked by electrician with knife, say police
- Local charity raising money to build shelter for homeless, women, pregnant teens
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines