CLEARWATER, Fla. (WFLA) – Two Clearwater homeowners tell 8 On Your Side they didn’t get what they paid for from a Tampa Bay area landscaper.
They say Henry Larry Schumacher started work, did great work at first, and then stopped showing up regularly, making up excuses. Now, the jobs are left unfinished and their lawns a mess.
One homeowner doubted the landscaper removed a propane tank from underground in her lawn. She says that was the main reason she hired him. The dirt on top of where the tank is buried just looked too neat, she said. So 8 On Your Side dug up the dirt and confirmed her fears…the tank is still there.
“This makes me feel sick,” she said.
Alex Branch, who lives in the same neighborhood, has a similar problem. His lawn is a mess, too, and he says Schumacher stopped returning his calls and text messages. When he sent a letter demanding the job be finished, he says Schumacher got angry and then stopped answering his phone.
Schumacher has a history of complaints on online sites such as Ripoff.com and someone even started at Facebook page to warn others.
Now, Branch is really worried.
A couple of Google searches show why. It turns out Schumacher has a history of shady of jobs in Georgia and Orlando.
He went by Larry then, and he’s made enough people angry that someone started a Facebook page, International Scam Alert, to warn others.
When reached by phone, Schumacher at first said he was nearly finished with the job that included the propane tank and that he only had to lay sod at that home.
When asked about the propane tank, he said there must have been some mistake.
He said he wants to be a good businessman and will try to work something out with these homeowners.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Dogs tied to hedges, left outside Tampa shelter in one week
- Weeki Wachee High senior pranks go too far
- Dash cam video shows wild Florida police chase
- T.G.I Friday’s serves 8-year-old alcohol instead of root beer
- ‘Fixer Upper’ fans are going crazy over Joanna’s announcement
- Founding Beastie Boys member John Berry dies at 52
- Sanford woman charged with illegally giving silicone injections
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines