KEY WEST, Fla. (AP) – A Florida Keys wedding planner faces grand theft and fraud charges after two couples complained she took their money but didn’t plan their weddings.
Monroe County Sheriff’s spokeswoman Becky Herrin said in a news release that 36-year-old Kathryn Bentley was arrested Tuesday after turning herself in. She says the couples saw Bentley listed as a wedding planner on a website for the Islander Resort and contacted her last year. Both made down payments.
One couple became suspicious when Bentley prematurely charged their credit card for a payment. She told them she’d repay them, but never did.
The other couple made $23,000 in payments for a February wedding only to learn the resort was never paid.
An attorney wasn’t listed for Bentley.
Officials say more charges may be pending.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Man held Polk family of 5 hostage for 3 months, deputies say
- Tampa area brides jilted by dodgy photography company
- Car crashes into Pasco home, pushing bed outside residence
- WATCH: Man in Stamkos jersey steals custom Lightning chair
- Excessive force? Video shows officer arresting teen on skateboard
- Coroner: Fat clots killed mom who traveled to Florida for Brazilian butt-lift
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines