TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA)– Some fans of the Pittsburgh Penguins have thought up a crafty way to skirt around Amalie Arena’s dress code prohibiting opposing team logos in certain areas of the Arena during playoff runs.
The Commonwealth Press, a Pittsburgh screen printing and media design company, recently released a shirt reading, “This is not a PGH Penguins shirt” in blue and white, along with the caption, “So … What’s this that you cant wear penguins gear at the game in florida. Psssshhhh.” on their Instagram account, giving Pittsburgh fans a way to skirt around Amalie Arena’s playoff dress code for fans.
According to Lightning Executive Vice President of Communications Bill Wickett, Amalie Arena bans fans from wearing opposing team logos during playoff runs in three specific sections: the Lexus Lounge, the Chase Club and in the Loge Experience seating areas.
“If somebody comes in one of those areas in an opposing team logo on, we will ask them to remove it. If they can’t, we will offer them a neutrally colored shirt to put on,” Wickett said. “We have policies in those clubs where you cannot wear visiting team apparel for our playoff games … Those season ticket holders, they like to be with their own and they asked us to keep Lightning fans in those areas if we can.”
Bright, bold Bolts blue is a color synonymous with the Tampa Bay Lightning and they want to make sure the Amalie Arena is blanketed in that hue throughout the Stanley Cup Playoffs.
The designer found a possible way around that.
“We thought it was a creative idea, it is a blue and white shirt, so it’s not that bad!” said Wickett.
News Channel 8 reached out to the owner of the Commonwealth Press, Dan Rugh, who claims the shirt was all in good fun.
We were just playing around!” said Rugh, who designed the shirt after seeing news of the arena’s dress code on social media.
Bolts fans applauded the shirt designer’s wit.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- WARNING GRAPHIC: School defends ‘cat intestine jump rope’ lesson
- Cops: 4 Florida kids lived without electricity, water: used convenience store bathroom
- Small Polk dog attacked by 5 dogs dies from injuries, cops say naked man let attack happen
- Man held Polk family of 5 hostage for 3 months, deputies say
- Coroner: Fat clots killed mom who traveled to Florida for Brazilian butt-lift
- Cops: Man used cell phone to take upskirt photos at Tampa mall
- Dog thrown from minivan in Pasco dies
- Woman who had nurse shark latch onto arm leaves Florida hospital
- MUG SHOTS: Men charged in Sarasota prostitution sting
- Pasco man’s jeep trashed by thieves, restored by motorcycle group
- Beach Life Hacks: Balloons, baby powder, bread bag clips and more
- Pinellas parents, students, teachers try to save Windsor Prep
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines