(WFLA) – A woman left a Boca Raton hospital after an ordeal involving a nurse shark.
The shark bit the 23-year-old woman, identified as Shaylen Borkowski, at the beach near Ocean Boulevard. Boca Raton Fire crews responded and found the 2-foot shark attached to the woman’s arm.
The shark was already dead. Both the woman and the shark were taken to Boca Raton Regional Hospital. The woman has since been released, NBC Miami reports.
Officials have not said how the shark latched onto the woman, however, the Sun-Sentinel reports people were antagonizing the animal. That information comes from beachgoers.
Meanwhile, Jim Abernethy, a shark expert, told Palm Beach’s NBC affiliate almost all nurse shark bites involve someone “messing with the shark because it’s so docile.”
Borkowski’s friend told NBC Miami that Borkowski did not provoke the shark.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Nurse shark bites woman, gets attached to her arm
- Dog thrown from minivan in Pasco to undergo surgery
- Decapitated body found in car in TX
- Road To The Cup: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Pittsburgh Penguins Game 2 – Join us for Watch Party
- Life Hacks: Tips for staying productive in your home office
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines