GALVESTON, Texas (AP) — The U.S. Coast Guard has suspended a search for a cruise ship passenger who apparently fell overboard into the Gulf of Mexico a day after leaving Galveston, Texas.
A Coast Guard statement says the search for 33-year-old Samantha Broberg was suspended Sunday evening after crews searched for more than 20 hours, covering more than 4,300 square miles.
Carnival Cruise Line said in a statement that people traveling with Broberg reported her missing Friday. Ship surveillance video showed a woman falling overboard about 2 a.m. Friday. Carnival says she can be seen sitting on a deck railing then falling back into the water.
The Associated Press left a message Monday seeking comment from Broberg’s family, in Arlington, Texas.
The Carnival Liberty docked in Galveston on Monday morning.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Nurse shark bites woman, gets attached to her arm
- Dog thrown from minivan in Pasco to undergo surgery
- Decapitated body found in car in TX
- Road To The Cup: Tampa Bay Lightning vs. Pittsburgh Penguins Game 2 – Join us for Watch Party
- It’s Free Smoothie Day Monday in Tampa Bay
- Life Hacks: Tips for staying productive in your home office
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines