LAREDO, Texas (AP) — An official says eight people have been killed and some 40 injured in a charter bus crash in far South Texas.
Webb County spokesman Larry Sanchez tells the Laredo Morning Times seven people died at the scene on U.S. Highway 83 north of Laredo. An eighth person died later at a hospital.
Webb County Volunteer Fire Department Chief Ricardo Rangel says the bus, identified as belonging to OGA Charters, originated in the Rio Grande Valley and was headed to a casino in Eagle Pass, about 125 miles northwest of Laredo. The bus company is based in San Juan in Hidalgo County.
The fire department described it as a one-vehicle rollover. Firefighters received the call late Saturday morning. By late afternoon, the highway at the scene remained closed.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Decapitated body found in car in TX
- 11 hurt when bus crashes into SUV, catches fire near Animal Kingdom
- Roller coaster at Busch Gardens still down after malfunction
- Police: Man with knife threatens to behead officers, is shot
- Woman, boy, 5, shot in Avon Park
- WWE star arrested in Hillsborough County
- Man arrested for allegedly exposing himself to girl at Winter Haven library
- PHOTOS: Ice Cube drops $7.25M on Jean-Claude Van Damme’s California mansion
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines