MANATEE COUNTY, FL (WFLA) – A 20-year-old woman is dead after a crash involving a drunk driver in Manatee County Friday night, according to the Florida Highway Patrol. The driver is a now former Pinellas County Sheriff’s deputy.
According to FHP, Alexandria Marler, of Bradenton, was a passenger on a Yamaha scooter driven by Zachary Morris, 21, also of Bradenton. They were riding down US Highway 41 with Christopher Mumea, 25, and Cassy Mumea, 24, also of Bradenton, who were on another scooter.
They were near 37th Street Court East when a Kia Sportage behind them veered from its lane and hit the Yamaha. The Yamaha collided with the second scooter and Marler fell off. The Kia then hit her when she landed on the roadway.
Marler was taken to the Blake Medical Center where she was pronounced dead. She wasn’t wearing a helmet at the time of the crash, according to FHP.
Morris, who had his helmet on, got minor injuries. Both Christopher and Cassy Mumea got no injuries. They were also wearing their helmets.
The driver of the Kia was Timothy Alan Vaughn, 37, of Palmetto. He has worked as a Pinellas County Sheriff’s deputy since 2007. He was fired Saturday morning after an investigation.
According to FHP, he was under the influence of alcohol at the time of the crash.
He is charged with one count DUI Manslaughter, two counts of DUI Property Damage, one count DUI Personal Injury and one count Careless Driving.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Suspect dead after deputy-involved shooting in St. Pete
- Garrison’s OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders
- Pasco detectives: teacher’s aid had sex with 2 teens
- 180,000 pacifiers recalled over choking hazard
- Polk 2-year-old wandered alone on road for 1.5 hours, say deputies
- 12-year-old steals, drives school bus
- Video of man chased from Target goes viral
- Student reportedly Googled ‘at home abortion’ before death of newborn
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines