(WFLA) – Publix has issued a voluntary recall for Wheatberry Salad over Listeria concerns.
The supermarket chain issued the recall last. According to the release published on the website of the US Food and Drug Administration, the sunflower kernels used in the salad are involved with the larger nationwide recall due toListeria monocytogenes.
The salad was sold at the delis in all Publix retail locations in Alabama, Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, and Tennessee.
According to FDA, consumption of products containing Listeria monocytogenes can cause serious and sometimes fatal infection in young children, frail or elderly people, and others with weakened immune systems. Although healthy individuals may suffer only short-term symptoms such as high fever, severe headache, stiffness, nausea, abdominal pain and diarrhea, Listeria infection can cause miscarriages and stillbirths among pregnant women.
Publix issued the following statement:
“While the product is no longer available on store shelves, we have issued a voluntary recall because of our commitment to food safety and to advise our customers who may still have this product at home,” said Maria Brous, Publix media and community relations director. “No illnesses have been reported to date in connection with the Wheatberry Salad. Consumers who have purchased the products in question may return the product to their local store for a full refund. Publix customers with additional questions may call our Customer Care Center at 1-800-242-1227 or by visiting our website at www.publix.com
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Suspect dead after deputy-involved shooting in St. Pete
- Garrison’s OT goal lifts Lightning to 2-1 win over Islanders
- Pasco detectives: teacher’s aid had sex with 2 teens
- 180,000 pacifiers recalled over choking hazard
- Polk 2-year-old wandered alone on road for 1.5 hours, say deputies
- 12-year-old steals, drives school bus
- Video of man chased from Target goes viral
- Student reportedly Googled ‘at home abortion’ before death of newborn
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines