PINELLAS COUNTY, FL (WFLA) – A travel agent is in jail on seven counts of grand theft after selling customers fraudulent cruise vouchers, according to the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Economic Crimes Unit.
Janet Marilyn Bender, 54, was arrested at her home in Largo. Detectives with the Economic Crimes Unit said they started investigating her in March when her customers reported the first problems with the vouchers.
Detectives said, that Bender who is an independent agent through CruiseOne travel agency, sold the cruise vouchers to at least nine of her customers. The vouchers were for the entire cost of a cruise with a balcony state room for between $200 and $500 each. She asked the victims to pay for these vouchers by cash or by check payable to her, according to PCSO.
Some of the victims tried to use the vouchers to schedule their cruises but discovered that Bender never even scheduled their vacations, ECU detectives said.
PCSO detectives had arrested Bender before on a similar complaint.
This time, she was charged with seven counts of grand theft and taken to the Pinellas County jail.
If you know anything about Bender’s activity or have become her victim, please call Detective Quentin Collamore at the Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office at (727) 582-6200.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Loud sex leads to arrest for woman with neighbors struck by cancer
- Motorists stop to rescue 2 women after car drives off ramp, plunges 50 feet
- VIDEO: Vehicle hits Largo police cruiser, leaves scene
- Video of man chased from Target goes viral
- Girl, 11, abducted from school bus stop, killed
- Lightning play in New York Friday; News Channel 8 hosting watch party
- Life Hacks for Mom: Applying makeup for a fresh look throughout the day
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines