TAMPA, FL (WFLA) — Hillsborough County Schools have lifted the modified lockdown that was in place at Farnell Middle School and Bryant Elementary School, both off of Race Track Road in Tampa, Friday morning.
The lockdown went into place Friday morning as Hillsborough County Sheriff’s Office deputies were in the area of Rack Track Road and Nine Eagles Drive looking for a runaway juvenile from Orlando.
Preliminary information was that a suspicious person was seen in the area of Farnell Middle School and as a precaution the school was placed on modified lockdown, according to a A sheriff’s office spokesperson. Due to the close proximity of Farnell to Bryant Elementary, the elementary school is monitoring everyone that enters the school campus.
The sheriff’s office said that the suspicious person is believed to be the runaway, James Jones, 16. Jones ran away from his home in Orlando 10 days ago and was brought to Hillsborough County where he girlfriend lives. His girlfriend attends Farnell Middle School.
Sheriff’s Office aviation, K9 and deputies are in the area searching.
The lockdown was lifted around noon. There is no word on if they found the suspected runaway. Stay with WFLA.com for updates.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Loud sex leads to arrest for woman with neighbors struck by cancer
- Motorists stop to rescue 2 women after car drives off ramp, plunges 50 feet
- VIDEO: Vehicle hits Largo police cruiser, leaves scene
- Video of man chased from Target goes viral
- Girl, 11, abducted from school bus stop, killed
- Lightning play in New York Friday; News Channel 8 hosting watch party
- Life Hacks for Mom: Applying makeup for a fresh look throughout the day
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines