Florida Highway Patrol is investigating after the car crashed into a power utility pole on the side of US 41 in Bradenton around 2 a.m. Thursday.
Investigators say a 23-year-old man was driving southbound on US 41 near 69th Avenue West when the driver failed to negotiate the curve and went off the roadway.
Nearby residents lost power moments after the crash.
Troopers say the driver was pronounced dead at Blake Medical Center.
The cause of the crash remains under investigation.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Motorists stop to rescue 2 women after car drives off ramp, plunges 50 feet
- VIDEO: Vehicle hits Largo police cruiser, leaves scene
- Video of man chased from Target goes viral
- Girl, 11, abducted from school bus stop, killed
- Lightning play in New York Friday; News Channel 8 hosting watch party
- Life Hacks for Mom: Applying makeup for a fresh look throughout the day
- Bat droppings to shut down drivers license renewals this weekend
- Photos of goose attack on 5-year-old Texas girl go viral
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines