LARGO, Fla. (WFLA) — Largo police say they’ve arrested the driver who is suspected of sideswiping a Largo PD cruiser.
Louis Fontana, 45, turned himself in at the Largo Police Department on Thursday morning after seeing coverage of the crash on the news, according to a police spokesperson. Police dashcam video showed the crash and car parts flying off the Infinity.
The vehicle involved in the hit-and-run crash is a black 2008 Infinity Ex crossover.
Fontana was arrested on a misdemeanor charge of leaving the scene of a crash involving property damage. Police say he expressed remorse at the incident and apologized. He is suspected of drinking. Police say he told them he panicked and left the scene of the crash.
The crash happened on at 10:12 p.m. on April 30 in the northbound lanes of US 19 just north of Roosevelt Boulevard.
The officer was parked in the curb lane with his emergency lights activated and was assisting a driver with their disabled vehicle when the Infinity sideswiped the cruiser.
The cruiser was parked in a manner that it prevented the hit-and-run driver from striking the tow truck as well as the disabled driver. No one was injured in the crash.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Cops: Florida robbers eat, shoot dog and put victim in dog cage
- Pregnant woman denied refund after cancelling cruise over Zika concerns
- 35-40 million more Takata airbags added to recall
- Video of man chased from Target goes viral
- Girl, 11, abducted from school bus stop, killed
- Holmes Beach City officials could levy fines against controversial tree house
- Teens using plant seeds to get high
- Mother defends son’s ‘girly’ toy choice in Facebook post
- Powerball jackpot reaches $348 million
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines