TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) — A landmark Tampa restaurant has been honored with a prestigious national award.
Bern’s Steak House won the 2016 James Beard Foundation Award for Outstanding Wine Program. The James Beard Foundation Awards have been called the “Oscars” of the food industry.
The Award for Outstanding Wine Program is given to a restaurant that’s been in operation five or more years and serves as a standard bearer for excellence in wine service through a well-presented list, knowledgeable staff, and efforts to educate customers about wine.
Bern’s staff traveled to New York City for the annual awards ceremony which was held at Pier 60 at Chelsea Piers.
“We are still overwhelmed and so unbelievably proud!” said the restaurant in a post on its Facebook page.
Bern’s Steak House has been called one of the best restaurants in Florida. The restaurant features old world style decor and has been a popular special occasion restaurant for many years. It is known for its steaks, its wine cellar and wine list, and its dessert room.
The James Beard Foundation is a national non-for-profit culinary arts organization based in New York City. The organization describes it mission as one to honor America’s diverse culinary heritage through programs that educate and inspire.
Bern’s Steak House is located at 1208 South Howard Ave. in Tampa. (813) 251-2421.
Learn more about the James Beard Foundation here.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Cops: Florida robbers eat, shoot dog and put victim in dog cage
- Pregnant woman denied refund after cancelling cruise over Zika concerns
- 35-40 million more Takata airbags added to recall
- Video of man chased from Target goes viral
- Girl, 11, abducted from school bus stop, killed
- Holmes Beach City officials could levy fines against controversial tree house
- Teens using plant seeds to get high
- Mother defends son’s ‘girly’ toy choice in Facebook post
- Powerball jackpot reaches $348 million
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines