Some Alaskan fishermen have a whale of a tale to tell.
On Monday they were docked in Ketchikan, getting ready for a fishing charter trip when a whale surprised them.
The giant humpback was only about five feet away when it surfaced.
Those at the marina say the whale has been feeding in the area for the last few days.
Humpback whales can reach lengths of up to 55 feet, with females being bigger than males.
Generally considered friendly and placid, they’ve been known to strike up friendships with other whale species.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Cops: Florida robbers eat, shoot dog and put victim in dog cage
- Pregnant woman denied refund after cancelling cruise over Zika concerns
- 35-40 million more Takata airbags added to recall
- Video of man chased from Target goes viral
- Girl, 11, abducted from school bus stop, killed
- Holmes Beach City officials could levy fines against controversial tree house
- Teens using plant seeds to get high
- Mother defends son’s ‘girly’ toy choice in Facebook post
- Powerball jackpot reaches $348 million
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines