TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – As Donald Trump steps into his role the presumptive Republican nominee, Republicans are hoping he can gain ground since polls show him far behind likely democratic nominee Hillary Clinton.
“He can’t just expect people to jump on the bandwagons simply because he is the nominee,” said Republican and former Florida Speaker of the House Will Weatherford.
“It’s an opportunity for Donald Trump, he’s said some very divisive things throughout this process and he has some really high negatives especially in the state of Florida. This is an opportunity for him to pivot and candidly what he would do for the country if he is president of the United States,” said Weatherford.
A new CNN/ORC poll shows Clinton with a double-digit lead over Trump. And even some Trump supporters are hoping he can do what it takes to win the White House.
“Tone down his thing and the whole immigration thing, tone it down a little,” said Kenny Suarez.
Weatherford telling News Channel 8, Trump hasn’t earned his vote yet. “He hasn’t earned it yet but certainly I’m not going to be voting for Hillary Clinton. A positive and uplifting message is what’s going to help him win in November, but if he decides to take Hillary Clinton and turn her into a punching bag, I think it’ll be a big mistake and he’ll be disappointed in November,” said Weatherford.
“Donald Trump will have a very short window here to redefine himself. I think there is a concern of down ballot implications, right now Donald Trump is losing in Florida pretty badly. So if that were to work its way down the ballot into the state Senate, United States Senate, the state House, Congressional races, it could be very damaging,” said Weatherford.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Tampa Bay area mom warns about the ‘Super Pill’
- Video of man chased from Target goes viral
- 2 found dead at Talladega Superspeedway
- Mom demands Polk County protect other children after her own son’s death
- Driver accused of turning off air conditioning on hot Florida school bus
- Life Hacks for Mom: Tips and tricks for a healthy lawn
- RHonor Flight needs sponsors to continue honoring Tampa Bay area veterans
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines