PINELLAS COUNTY, FL (WFLA) — Four schools in Pinellas County went on lockdown for a brief time Wednesday morning due to a shooting investigation in the area.
The Pinellas County Sheriff’s Office is investigating after a man was found shot dead in the area of 8th Ave N and 66th St N. Deputies say a neighbor heard gunshots around 9 a.m., went outside and saw the victim shot in the driveway. The victim has been identified as 29-year-old Michael A. Biltoft .
“We don’t know specifically what we have. Detectives are investigating trying to obtain evidence in the scene,” said Sgt. Spencer Gross with the Pinellas Sheriff’s Office. “There’s no suspect that’s been identified so we’re not actively seeking someone at this time.”
As a precaution to the nearby activity, Pinellas Schools spokesperson told News Channel 8 Blanton Elementary and Rawlings Elementary were placed on lockout and Dixie Hollins High School and Pinellas Park Middle School were on lockdown at the same time. The lockout and lockdown were both lifted around 11:05 a.m.
The school lockdowns were lifted, as no suspect is identified.
News Channel 8 is at the scene of the crime working to get more information. Stay with WFLA.com for updates.
SEE OTHER TOP CLICKED STORIES:
- 42 brands of frozen vegetables, fruits recalled over Listeria concerns
- Police: Rain may have washed away evidence of St. Pete shooting
- 2 found dead at Talladega Superspeedway
- Paralyzed dog left on Tampa shelter’s doorstep with heartbreaking note
- Tampa Bay Times buys, shutters Tampa Tribune
- Video of man chased from Target goes viral
- Ted Cruz ends his bid for Republican presidential nomination
- Woman, 59, expecting twins
- See more top stories from WFLA here >>