PALESTINE, Texas (AP) – A police captain says a 66-year-old woman and four grandchildren have been killed after a creek flooded its banks in an East Texas neighborhood.
Capt. James Muniz of the Palestine Police Department tells The Associated Press that six to 10 homes in a Palestine cul-de-sac were severely damaged following heavy rainfall early Saturday.
The five bodies were found near one of the homes before dawn after the floodwaters had receded.
Muniz said the city’s fire department found the bodies. The children were all 9 years old or younger. All other residents of the neighborhood were accounted for.
City officials used a dump truck to rescue one man from the roof of a home.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Paying it forward: Man helps homeless woman learn how to read
- Florida man clings to car in extreme road rage incident
- Rodent droppings, rotten lemons, live roaches found at Tampa Bay area restaurants
- Buccaneers draft devoted to helping Jameis realize potential
- Jacksonville police officer arrested after hitting handcuffed woman
- Beyonce performs for sold out crowd at Raymond James
- 82-year-old with Parkinson’s out $6,300, decides ‘Better Call Behnken’
- Parking problems plague Downtown Tampa businesses
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines