PORT CHARLOTTE, Fla. (WFLA) – Two people are dead, including a Sarasota County teacher, after a Friday night Port Charlotte murder-suicide shooting. WBBH, an NBC affiliate, reports the Charlotte County Sheriff’s Office confirmed the deaths.
The victim, Antoinette Gordon, was a reading teacher at North Port High School, and was meeting her husband, Hugh Gordon, to exchange their child. That’s when Gordon shot his wife several times before turning the gun on himself.
The north and southbound lanes of US 41 were closed earlier in the night because of the shooting, according to Charlotte County ATMS.
The investigation is ongoing.
Stay with WFLA.com for more details on this developing story.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Florida man clings to car in extreme road rage incident
- WATCH: Off-duty Florida deputy confronts tow truck driver
- Jacksonville police officer arrested after hitting handcuffed woman
- Lawsuit: Tampa strip club owes dancers $3.7 million
- Florida zoo defends decision not to kill tiger that attacked keeper
- Clearwater couple gets home makeover paid by insurance company after calling Behnken
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines