MANATEE COUNTY, Fla. – The Manatee County Sheriff’s Office is warning citizens to be aware of scams involving lotteries and sweepstakes. A Bradenton man was recently scammed out of $6,000 after receiving a telephone call saying he had won $600,000.
The victim was told to pay several payments totaling $6,000 to cover fees. Subsequent investigation by the MCSO revealed that the scam was originating out of Canada. This is a common scam that has been going on for years.
The common denominator of most scams is the suspect asking the victim to send/wire money. Never send money to someone you don’t know until you confirm whether the person and/or business are legitimate. If you have any questions involving scams, please call the MCSO at 941-747-3011.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Half-bearded man arrested in Miami
- Chyna’s manager says she died from accidental overdose of prescriptions
- Dozens of citations doled out since decriminalization of marijuana in Tampa
- Beyonce slays at tour opening, offers no insight into album
- St. Pete man records himself asking to use Target women’s bathroom
- Three Tampa Bay area hospitals receive ‘D’ grades
- Hamburger buns stored next to toilet at Checkers restaurant
- Florida manatee gives birth to rare set of twins
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines