JACKSONVILLE, Fla. – The Jacksonville Sheriff’s Office in Florida has fired and arrested an officer they say hit a woman who was handcuffed.
Undersheriff Pat Ivey said in a news conference Thursday that authorities arrested 26-year-old probationary patrol officer Akinyemi Borisade on a battery charge.
Footage released by the sheriff’s office shows Borisade striking 31-year-old Mayra Martinez, who attempted to kick Borisade as she was being restrained and checked into a jail.
The incident began Wednesday after authorities responded to a dispute at a Jacksonville bar. Martinez had been asked to leave the bar, but refused to do so. Officials arrested her on charges including trespass.
Ivey says Borisade could have handled the situation differently without striking Martinez.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Half-bearded man arrested in Miami
- WATCH: Off-duty Florida deputy confronts tow truck driver
- VIDEO: Webcam catches bald eagles feeding cat to young
- St. Pete man records himself asking to use Target women’s bathroom
- Three Tampa Bay area hospitals receive ‘D’ grades
- Florida manatee gives birth to rare set of twins
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines