PORT BARRE, (KLFY) — In Louisiana, an attempt to cover-up a disturbing message in a high school yearbook has at least one Louisiana parent speaking out. It’s the Port Barre High School graduating class of 2015 yearbook. The message can only be read when a light hits the underside of the page.
The mother of a St. Landry Parish student says she was livid when she found the hidden message. She says she doesn’t want her name mentioned for fear of backlash.
A black cover-up with the school’s mascot was used to camouflage what’s there and the mother says she was told the message can only be seen when a bright light placed behind the page.
“Here’s just a few words to describe your first year of high school. You are not cool. Everyone does hate you,” the message reads.
Superintendent Edward Brown says once a staff member learned the message was in the book they went through every book to cover the message. However, the students figured out a way to see through what was there.
The message as you heard is directed at incoming freshman. The mother says the message is degrading. “Dear freshmen, congrats on being the lowest of the low,” the mother reads.
She adds what’s concerning is that the message made it inside the book and passed staff in-charge of overseeing its contents. Port Barre High currently has an acting principal. This mother says she doesn’t blame him because he wasn’t at the school when it happened. “In my mind, this is a form of bullying. Telling them they are the lowest of the low. It just got my mind blown,” says the mother.
“My thing was, why not just replace it instead of covering it up?” explains the mother. The superintendent of St. Landry Parish Schools extends a sincere apology. Brown says the incident happened during a previous administration. The superintendent explains the acting principal is working to prevent such a thing from taking place in the future. Plus, the staff that was in-charge of overseeing the book has retired. Again, the superintendent says he deeply apologizes.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Half-bearded man arrested in Miami
- Chyna’s manager says she died from accidental overdose of prescriptions
- Dozens of citations doled out since decriminalization of marijuana in Tampa
- Beyonce slays at tour opening, offers no insight into album
- St. Pete man records himself asking to use Target women’s bathroom
- Three Tampa Bay area hospitals receive ‘D’ grades
- Hamburger buns stored next to toilet at Checkers restaurant
- Florida manatee gives birth to rare set of twins
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines