(NBC News) Just in time for the summer 2016 vacation season comes word that more Americans are going to get away this summer, one way or the other.
A new survey from Orbitz.com finds that 75% of Americans are traveling this summer, up seven percent from last year.
The vast majority of those, four out of five, plan to stay stateside because it can be so expensive elsewhere, especially Europe.
Orbitz found that Chicago, Las Vegas and Los Angeles will be the top three destinations this summer.
The news comes the same week that one of the nation’s largest airlines said low airfare prices are expected to stay low until at least 2017. American Airlines is attributing low fares to a number of issues, including low-cost carriers with bigger planes and weaker business travel. All four of the major airlines, American, United, Delta, Southwest have plans for lower fares this year.
Read more: http://nbcnews.to/1ruFpX8
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Teen surfer bitten twice by shark at New Smyrna Beach speaks out
- 6-year-old boy safe after father has standoff with police
- Study: Detergent pods causing more injuries in kids
- Couple whose baby was mauled by dog gave up on 911 calls
- Top 8 most watched videos of the week on WFLA.com
- MUG SHOTS: Pinellas deputies arrest nearly two dozen during prescription pill bust
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines