NEW YORK (AP) – Jennifer Hudson and Harvey Fierstein will headline the cast of NBC’s “Hairspray Live!” on Dec. 7.
Based on the cult John Waters movie set in 1960s Baltimore, the show concerns the full-figured Tracy Turnblad whose fondest wish is to appear on a local television dance program.
Hudson, who will play Motormouth Maybelle, is currently in the Broadway revival of “The Color Purple.” She won an Oscar and Golden Globe in 2007 in the hit film “Dreamgirls.”
Fierstein, who is also writing the teleplay, will cross-dress and play Edna Turnblad, Tracy’s mother, a role he created and won a Tony Award for in the stage version of “Hairspray.”
The new live musical will be directed for TV by Alex Rudzinski, who helmed “Grease Live!” Kenny Leon will direct the stage show.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Teen surfer bitten twice by shark at New Smyrna Beach speaks out
- 6-year-old boy safe after father has standoff with police
- Study: Detergent pods causing more injuries in kids
- Couple whose baby was mauled by dog gave up on 911 calls
- Top 8 most watched videos of the week on WFLA.com
- MUG SHOTS: Pinellas deputies arrest nearly two dozen during prescription pill bust
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines