SAN FRANCISCO (KRON) — A sinkhole has opened up in San Francisco on Sacramento and Lyon streets at Baker street, according to public works spokeswoman Rachel Gordon.
The call about the sinkhole came in on Thursday afternoon. The street has been shut down as a result of the sinkhole.
Crews first responded to reports of a depression in the road Thursday afternoon, and an asphalt repair team responded. However, shortly after arriving, the sinkhole began to form, Sheehan said. Crews have determined that an 18-inch sewer line is broken, but it is still too soon to know the exact cause of the sinkhole, SFPUC spokesman Charles Sheehan said.
The sinkhole is believed to be 22 feet long, 17 feet wide, and 7 to 10 feet deep. No injuries have been reported. Expect delays in the area. Both San Francisco Public Works crews and SFPUC crews are on the scene investigating.
Crews will remain on scene throughout the night prepping for repairs and monitoring the sinkhole, and to help residents that may need to use the road to get in and out of their homes. Then, “first thing tomorrow morning [Friday]” crews will perform “condition assessment and repairs,” Sheehan said.
During the repair process, they hope to learn more about the cause.
“SFPUC sewer operations crews stabilized the area today [Friday] by installing a temporary sewer main and refilling the hole with dirt. They will be on site to monitor the situation throughout the evening,” Sheehan said in a press release.
Crews do not believe the sinkhole will grow, and there is no immediate threat to the homes near the sinkhole. There is no “notable effect” to service for homes near the sinkhole, Sheehan said.
Crews said they believe the street will reopen by late Saturday night.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Frozen vegetables recalled nationwide
- New surveillance video captures Friday robbery in Haines City
- Coroner: Teen who shot 2 outside prom in WI is dead
- 4 federal agents injured during shootout at Kansas motel
- Top 8 most watched videos of the week on WFLA.com
- Dog mauls 3-day-old baby to death
- What’s coming to Netflix in May
- Florida man finds bottle, inside was boy’s heartwarming letter to dead friend
- MUG SHOTS: Pinellas deputies arrest nearly two dozen during prescription pill bust
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines