SOMERSET, Mass. (WPRI/AP) — A Massachusetts girl who choked on a marshmallow at a birthday party has died.
Police said 11-year-old Azriel Estabrooks died at Hasbro Children’s Hospital on Friday morning. The Somerset girl had been there since she was found unconscious at a friend’s birthday party on Saturday.
Her mother, Iris Estabrooks, has said that about an hour after she dropped her daughter off, she got a call from the hosts saying Azriel had passed out.
She says no one realized she was choking and that she was found passed out on the floor. When rescuers arrived, they found a marshmallow lodged in the girl’s throat.
Peter Boissoneault lives a block away from the family. He said his granddaughter had a class with Azriel.
“It’s just an ugly situation – bad,” he said. “Everyone here is just devastated for them. I mean, you can’t even explain it… It’s just horrible.”
A GoFundMe.com page has been set up to assist with Azriel’s funeral costs.
Police have not yet identified the names of the people hosting the party.
Eyewitness News saw the girl’s mother Friday. She said she is requesting privacy at this time.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Police: Haines City robbery suspect crashes vehicle, faces charges
- What’s coming to Netflix in May
- Florida man finds bottle, inside was boy’s heartwarming letter to dead friend
- Boat of 2 missing FL teens found off Bermuda
- MUG SHOTS: Pinellas deputies arrest nearly two dozen during prescription pill bust
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines