SARASOTA COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Earlier this month deputies nabbed Sergey Baygulov after multiple witnesses reported he was driving erratically. The witnesses said Baygulov, on a motorcycle, sped, dodged cars and drove the wrong way.
Now, we’ve obtained video from a Go Pro that was mounted to the suspect’s helmet. The video shows Baygulov passing a sheriff’s office patrol car and a school bus.
Tom Paul, a longtime motorcycle rider, viewed the video.“Wow. He’s got a death wish,” Paul said.
He winced at the antics he saw on the video. “He’s going to get scraped off the pavement one of these days,” Paul said.
Before deputies arrested Baygulov, a sheriff’s office helicopter recorded him screaming down the interstate.
“From the time he left his home in North Port, according to the Go Pro video, he was doubling the speed limit. And at one point he was doing over 70 miles an hour over the posted speed limit,” Captain John Jernigan with the Sarasota County Sheriff’s Office said.
The bike’s speedometer is in the shot.
“It upsets us to see somebody out there jeopardizing not only his own life, but the lives of the other motorists out there traveling on our roadways” Captain Jernigan said.
Video captured arrest
On April 7 Baygulov fled from deputies when they tried to stop him.
Video shows Baygulov pulls into Custom Air & Plumbing, where he works. Deputies are right behind him.
“Oh my god,” Baygulov is heard saying. “Turn the motorcycle off sir,” a deputy says.
Baygulov acts like he has no idea what’s going on, but in the earlier video, he can be seen checking to see if cops are following him.
Then there is this conversation:
Deputy: “Put your hands behind your back for me.”
Baygulov: “What’s going on guys? What’s going on?”
Deputy: “You’re under arrest for fleeing to elude.”
Baygulov: “For what?”
Deputy: “Fleeing to elude.”
Baygulov is selling the bike that got him into trouble. It’s posted to his Facebook page. He said he has a child on the way and made a bad decision.
The owner of Custom Air where Baygulov works said he sat him down and talked about his future. A decision has not been made about whether he’ll be fired.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Police find wrestler Chyna dead after 911 call
- OJ Simpson’s kids, now 30 and 27, live quietly in St. Petersburg
- Police: Male engaged in sex acts with child on school grounds
- Detectives investigating woman’s death after vehicle forced off road
- Bed bug lawsuit moves forward
- Recordings shed light in case of teens who died when stolen car plunged into pond
- Dead man’s bedsores exposed bones, hadn’t been to doctor in 4 years
- Major changes coming to Walt Disney World for the summer
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines