LAKE WALES, Fla. (WFLA) — Deputies in Polk County are keeping an eye out for drivers who pass stopped school buses. A frustrated viewer sent video to 8 On Your Side about the situation.
The viewer recorded video of driver after driver flying by her child’s stopped school bus on Highway 27 in Lake Wales. Victoria Campo said she is tired of watching helplessly as drivers disregard the stopped bus – and her daughter’s safety.
“Obey the law. I mean, stop. You see kids getting on,” she said.
Deputies with the Polk County Sheriff’s Office have seen the video too.
“It’s great video. It clearly shows a violation,” Sheriff’s Office Spokesperson Scott Wilder said.
Since seeing the video yesterday, deputies have been posted at the bus stop. “It’s one thing for someone to be able to get away with it if no police are there or no deputies are there. It’s another thing if we’re there. We’re definitely going to get their attention,” Wilder said.
Wilder points out they can’t be there everyday, and the problem is widespread. But he hopes drivers see the deputies and remember realize they are taking part in a dangerous habit.
“When a deputy shows up, people behave a lot more. So when they see that marked unit, that’s good, because it will reinforce what these folks should be doing anyway,” he said.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Police find wrestler Chyna dead after 911 call
- OJ Simpson’s kids, now 30 and 27, live quietly in St. Petersburg
- Police: Male engaged in sex acts with child on school grounds
- Detectives investigating woman’s death after vehicle forced off road
- Bed bug lawsuit moves forward
- Recordings shed light in case of teens who died when stolen car plunged into pond
- Dead man’s bedsores exposed bones, hadn’t been to doctor in 4 years
- Major changes coming to Walt Disney World for the summer
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines