TAMPA, Fla. (WFLA) – It’s a once-in-a-lifetime experience and Doctor James Billys is hoping to be in Rio to watch his daughter compete as an equestrian in the Olympics. But he will not be going if Kathryn Watts has her way.
“It was excruciating pain, in the back and down the legs,” Watts said about her back pain before going to see Dr. Billys. “He told me that he did over 2,000 of these procedures without failures; they were all a success so I went for it.” She underwent a spinal cord stimulator placement at the hands of Dr. Billys.
But it didn’t work out as planned for Watts. “I wish I never had it done. I walked in but I never walked out. I don’t know if I will ever walk again. I can’t do anything. I have to have somebody do everything for me. I can’t be left alone; somebody’s got to push me in a wheelchair. They have to fix my meals. They have to bathe me,” Watts said about life after the procedure.
She is still living with pain and is now paralyzed and confined to a wheelchair.
“I should be out dancing, going to the races like I used to do every Saturday, spend more time with my family,” Watts said.
Watts is suing Dr. Billys, and the case is set to go to trial Aug. 1. But Billys asked for a delay in order to go to Brazil to see his daughter compete.
“Makes me mad, how dare him even think about that,” Watts said.
Billys’ attorney Stephen Hamilton Sears told News Channel 8 he spoke to his client. They declined to comment for this story.
“My client is dealing with not being able to control her bladder and bowels and be in a wheelchair for the rest of her life, and the person that is responsible for that is trying to figure out whether to fly business class or first class to Rio,” attorney Mike Trentalange said.
“It was continued once already,” Trentalange added.
It’s not clear when a judge will decide to continue the case. Watts just wants to be considered in the decision.
“I cry all the time. I’m angry because he did this to me,” she said.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Florida man who killed wife, kids had history of domestic violence, records show
- Recordings shed light in case of teens who died when stolen car plunged into pond
- ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ actress Doris Roberts dead at 90
- Dead man’s bedsores exposed bones, hadn’t been to doctor in 4 years
- Major changes coming to Walt Disney World for the summer
- Cup of coffee leads to smashed, stolen car in St. Pete
- Couple in Tampa engagement photo located, gets surprise photo session
- Rent Due: Florida landlord fatally shoots tenant over $550
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines