LAND O’ LAKES, Fla. (WFLA) — A Pasco County Sheriff’s Office detention deputy was arrested on Tuesday after jail video showed her slapping an inmate.
Leann Hindman, 47, was charged with battery by a secure facility employee on a confined person and was released after paying a $250 bond. Hindman was also terminated from the Pasco County Sheriff’s Office.
The incident happened on Monday when Hindman was working at the Land O’ Lakes Jail as a corporal. According to an arrest affidavit, during her shift, Hindman had to confront a detained inmate. Hindman said the inmate used profanity and threw water on her.
Hindman handcuffed the inmate and had the inmate sit down in a chair. The inmate said something to Hindman and then Hindman leaned in and slapped the inmate across the face with an open palm hand.
Investigators say the inmate’s face was red after the incident, which was recorded by jail video cameras.
Hindman told investigators that she slapped the inmate in response to the inmate pinching her hand when Hindman handcuffed her. However, the video disputes that claim, according to the arrest affidavit.
A tearful Hindman told News Channel 8 Tuesday by phone that she’s devastated. She said she never had problems during her 21-year career with the sheriff’s office.
When asked if she’s guilty, Hindman said, “No,” but then told us to contact her lawyer.
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Recordings shed light in case of teens who died when stolen car plunged into pond
- ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ actress Doris Roberts dead at 90
- Dead man’s bedsores exposed bones, hadn’t been to doctor in 4 years
- Northside Christian students busted for drug-laced gummies on way to baseball game
- Major changes coming to Walt Disney World for the summer
- Cup of coffee leads to smashed, stolen car in St. Pete
- Couple in Tampa engagement photo located, gets surprise photo session
- Rent Due: Florida landlord fatally shoots tenant over $550
- Mother, friend arrested after child found in hot car outside strip club