BOSTON – Drew Smyly and the Rays bullpen held the Red Sox to one hit, Kevin Kiermaier hit a solo home run in the 10th and Tampa Bay beat Boston 3-0 on Tuesday night for its third straight win.
Smyly allowed one hit over eight innings and struck out 11 for the second straight start.
Smyly was in a pitching duel with Boston’s bullpen after starter Joe Kelly left in the first inning with stiffness in his right shoulder. The Red Sox used six relievers, and the first four preserved the shutout until Matt Barnes (1-1) faced Kiermaier to lead off the 10th.
Jackie Bradley Jr. had Boston’s hit, a single to center in the third. Erasmo Ramirez (3-0) threw a hitless ninth for Tampa Bay, and Alex Colome pitched the 10th for his second save.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Detectives investigating woman’s death after vehicle forced off road
- Bed bug lawsuit moves forward
- Recordings shed light in case of teens who died when stolen car plunged into pond
- Police say Pinellas road rage incident led to stabbing
- Florida officer fired after being caught up in prostitution sting
- ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ actress Doris Roberts dead at 90
- Dead man’s bedsores exposed bones, hadn’t been to doctor in 4 years
- Major changes coming to Walt Disney World for the summer
- Cup of coffee leads to smashed, stolen car in St. Pete
- Couple in Tampa engagement photo located, gets surprise photo session
- Rent Due: Florida landlord fatally shoots tenant over $550
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines