GULFPORT, Fla. (WFLA) – A man is in custody after a Gulfport road rage incident. Officers were dispatched to a convenience store at 1422 58th St. South Tuesday around 2:45 p.m. because of a stabbing.
“The investigation has revealed that the situation unfolded from a road rage incident that occurred further north on 58th Street where one vehicle is alleged to have cut the other one off in traffic,” police said.
The vehicles pulled into the store’s parking lot, and the suspect, John Reynolds, 23, and the victim, Leonel Garcia 53, went into the store, according to the Gulfport Police Department. They engaged in a verbal argument, police said. “As the victim tried to pay for his purchase, Reynolds stepped into his path and taunted him,” police said.
The two then got into a “tussle,” police said.
“Reynolds produced a knife and stabbed the victim twice in the torso,” police added. “Reynolds then walked away, but returned at least two times, taunting the victim with further comments before eventually returning to his truck, pumping gas and driving away.”
Witnesses were able to describe the suspect’s truck. Officers found the vehicle two hours later. Reynolds was found nearby, in possession of a folding knife.
Police said the victim sustained serious injuries but is in stable condition.
Reynolds is charged with aggravated battery. He’s being held at the Pinellas County Jail.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Detectives investigating woman’s death after vehicle forced off road
- Bed bug lawsuit moves forward
- Recordings shed light in case of teens who died when stolen car plunged into pond
- Police say Pinellas road rage incident led to stabbing
- Florida officer fired after being caught up in prostitution sting
- ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ actress Doris Roberts dead at 90
- Dead man’s bedsores exposed bones, hadn’t been to doctor in 4 years
- Major changes coming to Walt Disney World for the summer
- Cup of coffee leads to smashed, stolen car in St. Pete
- Couple in Tampa engagement photo located, gets surprise photo session
- Rent Due: Florida landlord fatally shoots tenant over $550
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines