PASCO COUNTY, Fla. (WFLA) – Pasco County Sheriff’s Office detectives arrested a man in connection with crimes uncovered by and 8 On Your Side investigation.
Deputies charged James Lineback with grand theft and exploitation of the elderly. This is after our investigation into an elderly man’s stolen jeep, gun, diamond ring and lawn equipment.
Investigators say Lineback and others conned at least three other elderly people. The group solicited yard work jobs, overcharged, and borrowed belongings from the victims without ever returning them, according to the sheriff’s office.
“The way these suspects are doing it, they make it sound like it’s a civil issue,” Sheriff Chris Nocco said. “They’re trading for work, for material. But when you really dig down to it, these are lowlife criminals.”
In one case, the victim noticed her television had been stolen. That television was sold at a pawn shop an hour later.
The original victim, Bill Gebhardt, who turned to 8 On Your Side, is thrilled about the arrest.
“I am so happy,” Gebhardt said. “Jail is where he needs to be.”
Sheriff’s detectives continue to investigate this case and expect more arrests.
WHAT OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON RIGHT NOW:
- Detectives investigating woman’s death after vehicle forced off road
- Bed bug lawsuit moves forward
- Recordings shed light in case of teens who died when stolen car plunged into pond
- Police say Pinellas road rage incident led to stabbing
- Florida officer fired after being caught up in prostitution sting
- ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ actress Doris Roberts dead at 90
- Dead man’s bedsores exposed bones, hadn’t been to doctor in 4 years
- Major changes coming to Walt Disney World for the summer
- Cup of coffee leads to smashed, stolen car in St. Pete
- Couple in Tampa engagement photo located, gets surprise photo session
- Rent Due: Florida landlord fatally shoots tenant over $550
- >>Back to the homepage for breaking news and the latest headlines