ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. (AP) – The weeklong search for a missing Florida priest ended in rural east Georgia when authorities found what they believe to be the body of the Rev. Rene Wayne Robert.
St. Johns County Sheriff made the announcement Monday night in St. Augustine, where 71-year-old Robert was a senior priest for the Diocese of St. Augustine. The body was found in Waynesboro, Georgia, after the man arrested while driving Robert’s car led police there.
Shoar said during a late-night news conference that the motive remains unclear.
On Wednesday, 28-year-old Steven James Murray was arrested in Aiken, South Carolina, after a manhunt. Shoar says Murray drove back and forth between Florida and South Carolina in Robert’s car. Investigators believe Robert was killed April 10.
Shoar called Murray a “career criminal.”
It’s not known whether Murray has an attorney.
(Copyright 2016 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)
STORIES OTHERS ARE CLICKING ON-
- Florida man who killed wife, kids had history of domestic violence, records show
- Recordings shed light in case of teens who died when stolen car plunged into pond
- ‘Everybody Loves Raymond’ actress Doris Roberts dead at 90
- Dead man’s bedsores exposed bones, hadn’t been to doctor in 4 years
- Northside Christian students busted for drug-laced gummies on way to baseball game
- Major changes coming to Walt Disney World for the summer
- Cup of coffee leads to smashed, stolen car in St. Pete
- Couple in Tampa engagement photo located, gets surprise photo session
- Rent Due: Florida landlord fatally shoots tenant over $550
- Mother, friend arrested after child found in hot car outside strip club